Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The PCA Part of My PCP



Employment – check! Housing – check! Transportation – check! Personal supports – Uhmm…. Right.
This was the most nerve wracking element of my Person Centered Plan. It's not only about finding someone who works in this career as a Personal Care Attendant (PCA) or Caregiver, and hiring the individual on-the-spot because they work for an agency. It is finding someone who is compatible with you personality-wise, and by physical ability.
A PCA is what a companion and a personal aide. They support me with housekeeping tasks (e.g. laundry, sweeping, light meal prep., etc.,) In addition, they assist with personal daily living needs (e.g. getting dressed, using the restroom, bathing, etc.) Relying on one person is a lot of pressure on both ends. This isn’t to say that it is impossible. I know some friends who work solely with one person. But there is a strict and firm understanding of responsibilities and expectations. Therefore, the ideal situation would be to establish a team. That way no one is burnt out, and appropriate boundaries between yourself and the service provider roles are set. Prime players on your team should be people who you feel comfortable being yourself around. Most importantly, they are striving for the same goals: your success and independence.
The way I am paired with my PCA’s is by my decision – also known as “self direct.” This also means [for the moment] that I pay them out-of-pocket until I receive funding from the Independent Care Waiver Program (ICWP.) I determine who will work with me, for how many hours during the day, at what rate of pay, and what the duties of the PCA are – all without a hosting agency.
Being an attendant care recipient, while going through the self-directed route, is a lot of responsibility. You are the “boss.” It’s important to play this role respectfully and effectively. I may have a positive, upbeat, friendly personality; but if my employee is not carrying out their end of the bargain (ie. Not starting their shift on time, always on their cell phone, not wearing appropriate attire - things that negatively impact me,) I have to be an efficient supervisor and address the issue(s) accordingly. Open communication is the key for a relationship like this to work for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment