Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Transportation Track



Now that I am employed and have a home to call my own, how do I get to and from said locations?? No vehicle to drive – other than my wheelchair. But I am pursuing this through Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. Without a vehicle of my own, I can choose from the following options:
  1. Call a taxi (not really doable because there are so few accessible cabs; however many there are available, require a week in advance to schedule a ride, and the cost is ridiculous,)
  2. Ask a friend (not everyone has a wheelchair accessible vehicle, nor did I even have friends to call at the time,)
  3. Use the paratransit service – MARTA Mobility (although a curb-to- curb service, organizing trips and days requires a lot of memorizing of exact locations, being up and far earlier than necessary, scheduling 24 hrs in advanced, and money - $4 each way,)
  4. Or hop on public transportation… 

Atlanta’s public transit system (MARTA), in my opinion, is fantastic! Not perfect. However, compared to the transportation method I used when I was living in Florida (paratransit), I am so much more independent! In addition to work, I go out with friends, clothes shopping, food shopping, and venture even further out to play with whatever photography skills I have. (Random note: all of the images in these blogs are ones that I took. You can click to enlarge them. What do you think?)
Typically, I ride MARTA’s fixed route. I feel more included in my community, and do you recall me mentioning costs in the above list? If you are eligible to use MARTA Mobility, riding the fixed routes [of MARTA only] is FREE! Plus, the fixed routes are more reliable. Their arrival window is within 5-10 minutes – worst case scenario, a bus is out of order. But the passenger has access to that information.  
For medical appointments or locations that I am not yet familiar with, I board my “convenient” alternative, Mobility. This helps me scout the new area for accessibility options, and to arrive at my early appointments. I wrapped quotes around ‘convenient’ because their policy is for the passenger to allow a half hour window from the directed ready-time. But often have I – and many others – waited 45 minutes to 2 hours for that vehicle to arrive (to pick-up or drop-off.)

No comments:

Post a Comment