Tuesday, August 25, 2015

“How hi-tech is your apartment?”

It’s not, really…

When I was about a year into living on my own, someone had asked me that exact question. I live in an “accessible unit,” compared to the neighboring homes. But that does not means “Star Trek replica.” Although I am a huge fan of the ever-advancing technology - and Star Trek props are becoming today's accessories, - my apartment is not that exciting. 

Here is what's standard:
  1. Wider doorways
  2. Sinks with wheelchair leg room underneath
  3. Lower counter tops
  4. Flipper-style door handle and sink handles
  5. A roll-in shower
  6. A roll-in closet
  7. And knob on the drawers
Those are modifications that fulfill the ADA requirements. The following are requests I’ve made for greater independence:
  1. Acceptance of a remote controlled door lock (which I posted a picture of in one of my earlier blogs)
  2. Lowering my mailbox to my level
  3. Leaving packages received in my apartment, as opposed to outside the door
  4. And communication/messages left via flyer in the door, to be done through email.
I’m pretty sure the most techie/out of the ordinary thing about my apartment is my coffee maker; pour the water, scoop the coffee, power it up, wait 90 seconds, and a cup awaits you… 

Home accessibility/adaptations options don’t stop with my list above. Check out some other great ideas on P2P's Roadmap to Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment